Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Florida's Finest

Y'all know that I am a Florida girl, and this is one of the many Floridian habits that I just can't shake (along with craving fresh squeezed OJ and ditching the lines at Disney...FastPass anyone?)  I think it's high time that I introduce to you one of my absolute favorite secret ingredients...


Everglades Seasoning is amazing.  You use it instead of salt and pepper, but it adds a little something extra beyond that.  It has natural tenderizers in it, so it's great on meat.  It also has several other spices in it, but even the manufacturers won't reveal what those secret spices are.  ¡Que misterioso!  Everglades Seasoning also makes a low-sodium version of their spice jar, as well as a version with no MSG.  I have to admit that I have not yet purchased either of these healthier options.  A little bit of Everglades Seasoning goes a long way, and I've been working on my bottle of the original stuff for a while.

One disclaimer I will say about this stuff is that unfortunately it's not available everywhere.  It's available in most stores in the South and along the east coast.  If you have Publix in your area, you're in good shape.  Fortunately for those of you who live further away from Florida, Everglades Seasoning products are available on their website.

So what exactly can you make with Everglades Seasoning?  Allow me to introduce you to my Quick and Easy Guacalmole!

For every ripe avocado, add:
  • 1/2 teaspoon Everglades Seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Then combine in a mortar and pestle and serve.  It doesn't get any easier than that!

And speaking of mortar and pestle, don't forget...you have until this Friday, April 9th to enter our first sponsored giveaway!

One thing I love about Everglades Seasoning is the response I get when I introduce it to non-Floridians.  Do you have a secret ingredient from your hometown that you like the share with people from other areas?  How about a recipe unique to your home state?

No comments:

Post a Comment